- August 1976
- Expansion into Southeast Asia
Singapore Kobe Pte. Ltd. is established in Singapore to make copper tube. It now makes copper strip and leadframes.
- February 1977
- Entry into the Middle East. The Sharjah Office is established in the UAE.
- September 1979
- KOBELCO becomes the international registered mark of Kobe Steel.
- August 1983
- Midrex Technologies, Inc., a U.S. company, is acquired, enabling Kobe Steel to develop the direct reduction and ironmaking plant business.
- July 1984
- Business development in China
Joint venture Zhoushen Co., Ltd. is established to manufacture nonferrous metalworking machinery
- October 1988
- Kobelco Compressors (America), Inc. (currently Kobelco Compressors Manufacturing Indiana, Inc.) is established in Indiana, USA to make standard compressors.
- PRO-TEC Coating Company, a joint-venture with U.S. Steel, is established in the U.S. to produce hot-dipped galvanized steel sheet.
PRO-TEC Coating Company
- June 1994
- Kobelco Welding of Europe B.V. is established in the Netherlands to produce welding consumables.
- October 1994
- Chengdu Kobelco Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. is established in China to make hydraulic excavators.
- January 1995
- Kobe Steel's rugby club wins the All-Japan Rugby Football Championship seven times in a row.
The Kobelco Steelers' first victory in the All-Japan Championship