Our extensive business activities play a part in almost every aspect of society and our everyday lives. Each and every one of those activities ties in with our commitment to environmental and social contribution at the Kobe Steel Group.
By combining the latest technology with frontline expertise for instance, we are able to employ production processes that keep the environmental impact to a bare minimum.
We continue to develop and supply new products and technologies that are designed to use energy more efficiently and reduce CO2 emissions.
At each of our locations around the world, we are always thinking about what we can do to improve the local community and take positive action as a responsible member of society.
Here at the Kobe Steel Group, we don't regard environmental and social contribution activities as something extra that we have to do.
Instead, we do our bit to preserve the environment and contribute to society as part of the fabric of our everyday activities, as a matter of course.
It is through the Kobe Steel Group's diverse range of business activities that we contribute to society and the environment. Our most recent activities are outlined in this report.
- Striving to Become an Advanced Environmental Enterprise through Environmental Management
- Close Up on Environmental Activities
- Measures Against Global Warming
- Promoting Recycling
- Proper Control of Chemical Substances
- Reducing the Environmental Impact
- Environmental Accounting
Products, Technologies and Services that Contribute to the Environment
- Disclosure of Environmental Information
- Cooperation with the Local Community
- Getting Everyone Involved in Initiatives
- Thorough Risk Management
- Living and Prospering in Partnership with a Wide Range of Stakeholders
Highlights of Activities in Fiscal 2010
- Social Contribution Activities
Technical Support Project to Restore Blast Furnace at Huachipato Steelworks
- Relations with Customers and Business Partners
- Creating a Pleasant Working Environment
- Relations with Shareholders and Investors
- Contributing to Society
- Global Social Contribution Activities
- Disaster Prevention Activities
This report was created by the Report Production Subcommittee under the CSR Committee, in consultation with all business segments. The content was selected, written and edited with an emphasis on materiality, highlighting the matters of greatest concern to stakeholders.
This report was created with reference to the following works: the GRI Guidelines, 3rd Edition; the Guidelines for Environmental Reporting, 2007 Edition; and a PR paper on corporate evaluation and business continuity published on August 1, 2005 by the Working Group of the Central Disaster Prevention Council.
The Sustainability Report 2011 presents the Kobe Steel Group's achievements in environmental protection and community activities in fiscal 2010 (April 1, 2010 to March 31, 2011). Some data from previous years are also included. The report sets out the Group's basic stance on environmental protection and social contributions. It also describes past, current, and future activities.